Monday, November 15, 2010

God’s love: The most misunderstood

I was listening to a Nashville radio station on my iphone this morning. They were talking about the story of the prodigal son in the bible. As I was listening –something jumped out at me that never had before. This is a parable that is comparable to the way God views each of us – His children. The son in this story squandered all of his wealth by getting tangled in all of the things this world had to offer. He found himself in complete disarray with not even a penny to his name. The only option left for him was to return to his father and be his servant; at least this way he can eat to stay alive. The part that jumped out at me was that this guys father was looking for his son to return to him. This implies that he was doing so actively with anticipation as if somehow knowing his son would return back to him. How much more does God look for us to return to Him? The father in this story did not judge his son but rather he got the best robe and a ring to put on his finger. He welcomed his son with arms wide open, with no questions asked! For some reason, a lot of people look at God like he is an unloving, hateful and that He is waiting to get us for any bad or unholy thing we do. The truth is he is actively looking for us to return back to Him so he can throw his heavenly arms around us. There are many people who think that God would want nothing to do with them because of the things they have done. Once Jesus was sent to earth, God took out all of the brunt and the consequences of sin and placed it on His beloved Son. Now, there is no sin that can keep you from the Father’s love through His Son Jesus! This story is a direct representation of how God views and looks at us and He rejoices when we come back to him!!

In this link below I placed below - you will see a skit that was performed. The girl at first is in relationship with God and then a man comes and distracts her, sex, love of money, alcohol, drugs and self harm take her away from her Savior. She fights to get back to God against all that is keeping her from Him. Christ continues to draw her to himself. Then Jesus stands in our place of condemnation and frees us from our sin. 

I remember doing these skits when I was in high school and they were such a powerful demonstration to put God's word on display. I hope you take the time to look at this and watch. It brings tears to my eyes every time in the best of ways! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9VfDhKA4p4

Luke 15:11-32 (New International Version)

11 Jesus continued: “There was a man who had two sons. 12 The younger one said to his father, ‘Father, give me my share of the estate.’ So he divided his property between them.

13 “Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. 14 After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. 15 So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. 16 He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.

17 “When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’ 20 So he got up and went to his father.

“But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

21 “The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’

22 “But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.

25 “Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. 27 ‘Your brother has come,’ he replied, ‘and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.’

28 “The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. 29 But he answered his father, ‘Look! All these years I’ve been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!’

31 “‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. 32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment