Sunday, November 13, 2011

Fairest Lord Jesus

     Today, I was thinking, while listening to one of my favorite hymns – Fairest Lord Jesus – where did this great song come from and what was the inspiration behind it. This was one of the first hymns I learned in church youth choir when I was 10 years old. I remember how the words moved me as I would try to imagine what it would be like to meet Jesus face to face! The ending of the song is, in my opinion, most powerful where praise and adoration is given. I think the best arrangement is by Point of Grace!  After all of these years have passed, I still have not forgotten how this song sprung up hope in my heart. Every time I hear it - I am transported back to that moment where I felt the joy and discovery of who Jesus is. These words depict Him as being the pinnacle of God’s creation – something worthy of celebration, honor and glory. It gave me comfort in a very difficult time in my young life to know He was bigger than all my problems! He is Lord over all things! Such a great reminder some 21 years later that no matter what - He is STILL bigger than any problem you or I face!!

       Unfortunately, I discovered there is little known about this great hymn- the writer and the exact origins are pretty much unknown. It is believed to have been written as early as 1607 by German Jesuit monks who use to chant the below set of words. Apparently, they were not allowed to sing. (Interesting tidbit – I might add) The lyrics were put to music in 1850 by Richard S. Willis. In addition, to not knowing who authored this hymn - the person who translated this work from German to English is also unknown!  It’s a mystery but what a beautiful one at that!

http://www.myspace.com/pointofgrace/music/songs/fairest-lord-jesus-28333102
(Click the play button on the page that pops up)


Fairest Lord Jesus
Ruler of all nature 
O Thou of God and man the Son  
Thee will I cherish, Thee will I honor 
Thou my soul's glory, joy and crown  

Fair are the meadows
Fairer still the woodlands 
Robed in the blooming garb of spring 
Jesus, Jesus is fairer 
Jesus is purer 
Who makes the woeful heart to sing 

Fair is the sunshine 
Fairer still the moonlight 
And all the twinkling starry host 
Jesus shines brighter 
Oh my Jesus shines purer 
Than all the angels heaven can boast  

Beautiful Savior 
Lord of the nations
Son of God and Son of Man 
Glory and honor, praise adoration 
Now and forever more be Thine 
Glory and honor, praise adoration 
Now and forever more be Thine 



No comments:

Post a Comment