Monday, December 13, 2010

Being Real or Playing the Part?

         These past few weeks have been very trying. In times of great difficulty you really have the opportunity to learn a lot about yourself. More importantly than it just being about ourselves, it is the people we bring along with us in our journey. By coming along side and joining in our life struggles can our friends/companions be touched as well – only if we let them into that part of our lives. This is really the whole premise of being a Christian – living life openly, honestly and allowing others to see Jesus through and in us. However, it is detrimental if we hide in the shadows and try to do things in our own strength. We were designed to be in community and fellowship with one another.

         The longer I am a Christian, the more I realize that we as a collective cannot always “act” like we have everything all together. The truth is we are ALL undone in some manner or another. This is the one thing I hope we can strive against because the more we wear these fake masks, the more we hide the significance of what Christ has done for us and in the process He ends up losing relevance to the world around us. In our own strength, we attempt to look like we have it all together, however, our internal person is literally dying more and more everyday – in fact it is screaming – but no one knows your pains, your struggles, sorrows. Why?...because they are hidden behind a mask. There is a general fear about being honest about ourselves with one another; moreover, we think we can hide from God but this is mere deception on our own part because he sees and knows us. Think about it for example: a child molester – if this person were to open up to someone about his/ her struggles with their affinity towards children in the wrong manner, in a non-judgmental environment, how many children would ultimately be molested? The longer they keep themselves in silence and shame about their thoughts the sicker and more perverted they become. Eventually, this darkness over takes them and they act upon these horrible desires.

Isaiah 29:13-18 :13 Therefore the Lord said: “ Inasmuch as these people draw near with their mouths and honor Me with their lips, But have removed their hearts far from Me, And their fear toward Me is taught by the commandment of men,14 Therefore, behold, I will again do a marvelous work. Among this people, a marvelous work and a wonder; for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hidden.” 15 Woe to those who seek deep to hide their counsel far from the LORD, and their works are in the dark; They say, “Who sees us?” and, “Who knows us?” 16 Surely you have things turned around! Shall the potter be esteemed as the clay; for shall the thing made say of him who made it, “He did not make me”? Or shall the thing formed say of him who formed it, “He has no understanding”?

         As a whole, I often wonder who or what we are really trying to please? How is masquerading around or hiding who you really are helping to solve the real issue of not always having our act together when God already knows the truth? As I made the statement earlier – we are all undone. In fact, I wonder how many people would be found as hypocrites if we could look into their inner most self to see if who they really are matches up to whom they are portraying on the outside. (this goes for all circles of people – not just Christians) I have known some people in the past who thought they had everyone fooled. They portrayed themselves to be the ideal person – good, wholesome, moral, honest, hard working, willing to give their all, but were really using this image to suit their own purpose to be well liked and to ultimately get what they want. The truth was revealed and what was left behind was the realization that this person was truly empty on the inside. Actually, I take that back – they were full of themselves. Not many people realize that it’s very difficult to make yourself happy for a prolonged period. One can always do things that make them happy for a season but soon they find themselves unhappy with what they have and now it’s on to bigger and better things. This lesson is evident with some of the wealthiest people in the world. They aren’t happy with what they have there is always more to be obtained. It’s a foolish waste of life to be pursuing the proverbial dangling carrot. Many forms of media tell us that we should have more, do more, be more… more, more, more…..etc. It’s the ME, ME, ME, ME, ME, message. When do we look outside ourselves and help others?

Deuteronomy 24:19

"When you are harvesting in your field and you overlook a sheaf, do not go back to get it. Leave it for the foreigners, orphans and the widow, so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands."

         It has been an interesting year for me, with this topic. I know that I myself have struggled with portraying the right image. I always have a heart to do the right thing and I want to look like I have it all together. The more I struggle to achieve this balance the crazier things seem to get and the further out of left field they come. This has been God trying to get me to understand that it’s not in my own strength that I can be good or that I even have any control over my circumstances at times. None of us can control when a loved one will pass, or decisions family members make, when a natural disaster will occur, when the financial economy will bounce back (if ever) – whether we like it or not there are things that are way beyond our own control! Yet, we still toil to control. The curious thing for me is why did it take me so long to figure this out? Haha Sometimes I can be what I refer to as an “educated idiot”. It’s really simple common sense. To think that we can control these things or know when something will occur is ludicrous. So it was this reality that appearances needed to be thrown out the window! There is a whole lot of vanity and fakeness that comes with keeping up these appearances. It keeps us a slave and in bondage to this image and exactly where the enemy wants us. I know because I have lived it – I have seen recently, it has not only stunted my own personal growth as an individual but my relationship with God. I had blinders over my eye so that I could not see how not opening up to people was in fact truly hurting me. I was not allowing myself to share my burdens and in this sense I was in bondage. I was afraid how people might judge me, or they wouldn’t understand or it would allow them to hurt me more (yes that has happened) but it’s the whole healing process. I realized that God has given me an incredible life story but I was so entangled by the complexity of my situation. I was not free to help other people and share the power of Christ in my own life because I had not transcended my own bondage. Jesus is the only one who can heal and make a person whole – it is by total surrender to Him that I am finding true healing. This pursuit is because of the desire to discover what God has intended for me, His plans and purpose for my life. He can do the same for you! He can take a “hot mess” and make it into a masterpiece. I don’t know of anything else in this world who can do that! :)

There is a song that I absolutely love by Matthew West called: The Motions: (here are a few of the lyrics)

This might hurt, it's not safe
But I know that I've gotta make a change
I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something
'Cause just okay is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of life…..

No regrets, not this time
I'm gonna let my heart defeat my mind
Let Your love make me whole
I think I'm finally feeling something
'Cause just okay is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of this life

'Cause I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day
without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking
"What if I had given everything
instead of going through the motions?"


         My final point in this post: It’s impossible to live a whole, holistic life when you are playing a part, wearing a mask and trying to be someone you are not to merely just fit in. God did not intend for you to be someone else – he designed you for a specific purpose with specific talents. He did not create you to become a slave to society and appearances and to live for yourself. Don’t be deceived into thinking you aren’t important or don’t matter or that stuff defines you – you are worth so much to Jesus. Don’t just go through the nothingness of life without Him because he is the definition and the meaning; otherwise, you’re just going through the motions. Trust me, this is something I know about first hand and am still in the process of learning.

Titus 3:3-8: 3 At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. 4 But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, 5 he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, 6 whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. 8 This is a trustworthy saying. And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment