Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Tornadoes of Life

         A few days ago, I had a dream about a huge, big, black tornado coming towards where I was standing. I remember beginning to panic and I started to run with all of my might. I was looking all around me for a safe place to get away from all of the flying debris. But there was no shelter insight. So I just kept running like Forrest Gump…I somehow managed to find my car and attempted to get under it when I looked up to the right and there was a huge barn. The tornado was approaching seemingly faster than I would be able to get into the shelter. I decided to make a run for it, it was now or never. I struggled against the wind I was grabbing on to all that I could so that I would not be overcome and sucked into this swirl of destruction. Just when I made it inside to safety to watch the tornado pass by my alarm went off. I awoke in a cold sweat and then the relief quickly set in because I realized that it was just a dream. However, this dream has been bothering me ever since. Its vividness was quite extraordinary. I am not one that typically can remember my dreams I think I can recall less than both hands combined for the entirety of my life.

         As a couple of days have passed since having this dream, I have realized it was almost prophetic in nature. In that, I had no idea that there was impending darkness lurking around the corner ready to jump out at the right moment. Well, it did and now I am finding myself trying not to get sucked in by the sheer force of the conflict. Just like that tornado in my dream this seemed to pop out of nowhere but the magnitude of its destruction will not be known until the “dust” settles. I am sure there are others like myself who find themselves in the midst of their own tornado – it threatens to take everything out of you, you have to struggle against everything just to get through the day, it leaves you feeling beaten up and weary. Sometimes a severe trial like this can, if you allow it, make you stronger. It reveals your own inability to solve a larger than life problem and it forces you to go to the One who can help – Jesus! In this case, running to Jesus would be like me running to that barn in my dream – I felt warm, safe, and secure - I was able to watch as the danger pass right by me.

Isaiah 41:13 – “For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says, Do not fear; I will help you.”

Ephesians 6:10-11: “Finally be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes."

No comments:

Post a Comment