Friday, September 27, 2024

Battle for the Soul


I have been watching the world around me for quite some time. It’s an experience to walk around a city like Boston and people watch. I was going for haircut and decided afterwards I would take a quick stroll through the Boston Common, America’s oldest park. Its right in the heart of the city. It was a beautiful day; the sun was shining and there was a cool crisp breeze. I remember feeling great, nothing like a haircut to put a bounce in your step! I would look on at people passing me by and nod my head and smile at them. It was such a strange phenomenon because people would like at me and there was no change in facial expression. Some would even look away or look at me like do I know you? Like how dare I smile at them. There were a small few that smiled back, these folks were certainly in the minority and were few and far between. It made me shrug my shoulders and keep on my merry little way because there was no way I was going to let this beautiful day go to waste. As I kept walking, my mind wondered as I started thinking about these strange encounters. It occurred to me; you know those movies that show a person in live in living color but the rest of the world is in monochromatic? This was what I was experiencing, but in real life! As I continued on my way, I started paying even closer attention to people. Some of these people almost looked like they were not in there – you know that saying lights are on but no one is home? This saying described perfectly what I was experiencing. What is happening in the world around us?  Why are we becoming so incredibly disconnected? Like they are numb and just going through the motions. Nothing will steal your joy and purpose for your life faster than feeling like you are here for no reason and no purpose. What is the point to all of this? Talk about a lost feeling become lukewarm.

 

This thought has been rolling around in my mind, and just a few days later I was sitting at lunch with Co-workers. We were sharing some of the difficulties about life and one of my co-workers made the statement “We are not here for a purpose; we are just a happy, random accident – therefore you just got to make the best out of it”. When these words were said immediately something in my soul ached. Yes, the soul because this was so much deeper than just the heart. It was like I could feel God present in that moment and it was breaking His heart. 

 

“All who have come before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep have not listened to them. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. They will come in and go out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life and have it to the full. “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep.”

John 10:8-15 NIV

 

 

I love this depiction of the way Jesus looks at us – he is willing to give His life for us. Do you know anyone else who is willing to step in your place to pay for all the wrongdoing you have ever done in your life? Taking into consideration this different viewpoint, I personally do not want to pay for someone else’s wrongdoing.  (Good thing I am not God!! ) In addition, imagine the kind of love you have to have for a person to be willing to lay down their life! Let’s take this thought a step further, that is exactly what Jesus did for you and I! If more people truly understood the power in this, it would change and transform them from the inside out. It’s hard to imagine this kind of love in any human capacity because it's beyond our own understanding. We cannot in this human body imagine a perfect love. It's not until you have a personal encounter with Jesus does that change. If you are reading this wondering how any of this makes sense, I challenge you to ask God to reveal himself to you. Seek out truth with an open mind and I promise you will be blown away. God will reveal himself in a small quiet way, as that is His nature.

 

Continuing as we look at the passage above, Jesus also states that there are deceivers that have come to try and take the sheep away from God. It goes on to say that these deceivers when the tough gets going, they are not in the fire with you. They will run away. What in society can you think of where this rings all too true?  There are some that look to celebrities or athletes, or influencers that preach alternative lifestyles and who offer you their meaning of life and this list can go on and on. As an example, do you think any of these people would ever die for you? Do they love you to that extent? Certainly not. Whatever you are placing your trust in aside from Christ will not give you that pure love, acceptance, hope and meaning to your life that you are seeking. Nothing will ever satisfy but Jesus in that God shaped hole in your heart. Christ is the giver of meaning and purpose! The rest are deceivers.

 

There are so many aspects to life that are trying to destroy you and I on the daily – steal our purpose, our joy, our contentment, our trust, our love, our families, our bodies, our peace of mind, our emotions and even our country – the bible warns us many times about an enemy that is actively seeking to destroy us. Watch what you consume on social media, TV and music and so many other sources. There are many deceivers about and they are not looking out for your best interest but their own. We need to be vigilant to protect ourselves from all of these attacks because this is a battle for your soul whether you realize it or not! It's a battle over your life and to steal your purpose and belonging right out from under you. 

 

In closing, we are all in a battle every day for our meaning and purpose, we all are held to this earth by this imperfect body. We have all failed in some way or another and all have done something wrong. We have to deal with sin in our lives and we can choose who we will subscribe to -the deceiver who uses every kind of snare to destroy you- OR-  Jesus, the one who loves you so much that He is willing to give His life to set you free- the choice is ours but may all choose wisely. 

 

 

“This is why it is said: “Wake up, sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.” Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. Speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.”

Ephesians 5:14-15, 17, 19-20 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment